Proceed with Intent

January 10, 2012

I have absolutely no business shopping at Urban Outfitters. But, the store was the only one still open while my husband and I waited for a table at the neighboring restaurant. We get a good laugh at the funny t-shirts they have and the topical books and tchotchkes but other than that Urban Outfitters is not the place for this suburban mom.

A cookbook – of all things – caught my eye as we were getting ready to leave. I’m a huge cookbook collector. I have my favorites on display in my kitchen and the others stashed where ever I have room. Do I cook the recipes from them? Hardly ever. I do bake a few recipes here and there but only as time permits. I cook minute meals, people. Dinners that don’t require a ton of prep or ingredients. Does my family deserve better? Probably.

cookbook with green cover, chicken, fish, knife.Anyway, the book is called “What to Cook & How to Cook it” by Jane Hornby. To be honest, the green book jacket is what grabbed me because the accent color in my new kitchen is this green. I flipped through and it had beautiful photography and a variety of recipes. I’m sure I’ll buy it eventually and it will look pretty in my glass cabinet.

I also do something similar with cooking magazines. I have subscriptions to Cooking Light and Everyday Food. Not a whole lot of cooking done from these magazines either. But my intentions are good, so I keep them. Stacks and stacks of magazines that I’ll eventually toss out. Totally a waste.

So, you thought this post was about cookbooks and magazines, right? Well, it’s not. It’s actually about intention. At the end of last year I participated in #Reverb11 which was basically a reflection of 2011 and what I accomplished. What I realized was that I didn’t accomplish much. I couldn’t name even five things I could say “YES! I DID THIS!” What I concluded was that I hadn’t set any real goals last year. I lived that entire year without much intention.

green sign with white text reading "intention"

Yesterday, I received a comment from a reader on one of my #Reverb11 posts. The commenter wrote the following: “Goal achievements and accomplishments are paramount. Would love to hear more about what great things you are doing, not aspiring to do. Have an intention. Achieve the intention.”

I can’t shake this comment. She’s definitely right. My word for 2012 is “proceed” but my my motto now is “proceed with intent.” Because what’s the point of proceeding if you aren’t doing it with intent?

photo source
photo source

SurferWife January 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hmmm, thought provoking. And very true. What’s the point of aspirations if you have no intent to fulfill. Interesting.

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Right? Don’t talk the talk if you can’t walk the walk.

Jennifer January 11, 2012 at 7:44 am

That is an interesting thought. I was thinking about accomplishments and how to achieve them yesterday, and I decided what I need are some motivators. It is so easy to say, “I’m going to do this XYZ,” which is usually for the ultimate outcome, but what little things along the way can motivate you to continue the journey.

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Jennifer! Glad you find the topic interesting and thanks always for commenting!

Nicole January 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

I couldn’t get past the first sentence without commenting! Why don’t you have any business shopping at UO? Cool is as cool does.

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Really, girl? You’ve seen me. Me and UO don’t mix.

Nicole January 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

UO has such great accent pieces. That’s it! Next outing we are getting you a pair of awesome color Pumas. No, you cannot get “safe” colors.

ChiMomWriter January 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

So true! It’s easy to get stuck with the list of what you’d like to do and never truly break it down into the small steps that make it feasible to accomplish. Looking forward to seeing what you’re up to throughout this year!

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Thanks friend. Me too!

Leslie January 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

That’s true. I am not sure if I could really name any goals I achieved last year or actual accomplishments either. Thanks for inspiring me to figure out some intentions and proceed with them in mind! :)

Heather January 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

“Proceed with intent” – what a great motto. I look forward to seeing what you accomplish this coming year. And what do you mean you have no business in Urban Outfitters?! I may not be a connoisseur of that store, but it is always fun to go in for a looksie.

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Agree, fun to go look but I’m just not cool enough to pull anything off from that store. Ever. Thanks for the support, Heather!

Ashley @ it's fitting January 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This is awesome… And why I made goals for the year that are tangible. Things I can check off and actually achieve, as opposed to intangibles that just make me feel guilty :)
And I totally have cooking light… And tear out the recipes I like, with every intention of making the… But they are still in my “to make” section ofy recipe binder. But since my intention was to make a new recipe every week? Looks like I need to start trying them out!!

Ashley @ it's fitting January 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm

And forgive the typos, I suck at typing on my iPad.

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Hmm..maybe I should tear out the recipes. Or take photos of them. I just think it’s such a waste to trash them because I do really enjoy reading them.

Ashley - It's Fitting January 11, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Yeah, I find that ripping out the recipes that I really like and putting them in a binder helps me reduce the clutter of having the magazines just lying around. Because trust me, I have enough clutter around my house as it is. :-)

Galit Breen January 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Proceed with intent- *I* can’t shake *that!*

{Fabulous!}

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for the support Galit! Also, thanks for the RT!

Gianna January 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I think at one point this year I was thinking about my words for 2012.
Faith is my study word.
Dreams in Action is my phrase for the year. If my kids want to shoot for a dream, I will not stop them. If my husband wants to work hard at his job to move forward, I will not stop him.
And I need to live my dreams. Starting with small dreams. And already my life is feeling more full.
And when I accomplish something, your post has reminded me that I need to take note of it and not forget it. Because that’s so easy to do.