Bloggers are Writers | Are you a writer?

What Are You?

February 17, 2012

A few days ago a question came up among a group of blogging peers about how we introduce ourselves to others. When asked, do you say “I’m a blogger” or do you say “I’m a writer”? Is there even a difference? Initially, I thought there was. I proclaimed that I didn’t consider myself a writer because I hadn’t had anything published. Holy, backlash. The overall sentiment was that publishing a blog is published work. The problem instead is how we view ourselves. Why wouldn’t blogging be considered writing? Why do I (and maybe others) think bloggers rank lower than writers. This is such a ridiculous notion, right?

Thus, I was inspired.

Corona typewriter with copy reading Bloggers are Writers.

Bloggers ARE Writers. I am a writer. Are you?

Thanks to Modchik Photography for this awesome photo.

SurferWife February 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

Well? Yes. Albeit a crappy writer, but a writer nonetheless. I mean, I write words and people read them. That would make me a writer.

Great thought provoking post, Wendy.

Trish February 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

I am a writer. Who writes a blog. Among other things.

Carolyn West February 17, 2012 at 8:31 am

I have thought about this long and hard. I used to tell people I was a “blogger” but now I tell people I’m a “writer”. My thought is that now that I have written posts that have been published on blogs other than my own, I consider myself more of a writer than when I was only writing for my own blog.

Nancy's Point February 17, 2012 at 8:44 am

Well, what an interesting question! I call myself a writer first and foremost. Sometimes I do think bloggers get a bad rap, but still, I’m proud to call myself a blogger too.

Christina Simon February 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

Interesting point. I used to tell people I was a mom blogger, which I still do. But, now that I’ve had numerous pieces published on major, national sites (mom blogs and other) I say I’m a writer/mom blogger. But, I think its whatever you feel comfortable with. There is currently a terrible writer on a major mom blog. She has no writing experience, degree in journalism or anything– except somebody gave her a job as a writer. I’m sure she calls herself a writer!

Leslie February 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

I think writing is what I do on my blog. I think where I draw a significant difference between myself as a blog writer and an actual writer is I see a “writer” as a novelist. You know, John Grisham, Ann Rice, Chelsea Handler…I think that is the funny thing about the internet vs. print. If you are old enough to value the printed (on paper) word (like I am, sigh), it is sometimes hard to take the typed on the computer and posted on the internet word too seriously. But then again, who reads an actual book or magazine these days??? by the time it is printed, it is already old news!

Shelby Barone February 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Anyone who puts words together is a writer in my opinion!

Julie Ordonez February 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I think the reason people sometimes think bloggers aren’t “real” writers is because anyone can write a blog about anything. But I love blogging/writing/whatever you want to call it, I write about what I’m passionate about, and take what I put out seriously. If that’s being not a writer I don’t know what is.

Desiree Eaglin February 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’m still not comfortable calling myself a “writer” to others. I still say I’m a “blogger”. I guess it’s just a matter of perspective and confidence on the stuff I’m putting out there.

April February 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I agree. It takes a lot of courage to write your thoughts down for others to read. I just hope part of who I am comes out in my writing. That is my writing goal.

Jamie February 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I am a writer.

The thought of this makes me laugh. Not because I am the author of a blog, but because it seems ridiculous that I would end up passionate in writing. It is not a strength of mine. In fact, I would consider it one of my weaknesses.

natalie February 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

a blogger, a writer…. say what makes you feel best…. there is no question you are both!

Jackie February 18, 2012 at 4:22 am

I am a writer. sometimes I have moments of sheer genius and words pour eyes steadily and smoothly and then there are times where I am in a hurry and I write complete crap. But I write and I do it consistently. Yes, like you I am a writer.

Galit Breen February 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love this Wendy!

I think that we tend to get muddled in the wording because we do different kinds of writing, focusing our energy on a product or a word choice or a message or a recipe, etc.

But oh my yes, writing is writing

Carina February 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

A blogger. A writer in training. I still think “writer” is too big of a word for me. :)

Mom February 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I think we are all writers in our own right. The real question is that are you or do you consider yourself a journalist or author both terms used for people dealing with printed subjects. Bloggers are closer to a Publisher which is much more important element of getting the words out there. So regardless of what you think your label may be don’t stop doing it.

Miz Meliz February 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm