The Upside: More Time for Reading

March 16, 2012

I’m totally embarking on a T.V. detox. Hold me. I’ll be writing in more detail about the 21-day challenge I’ve been given over at The Trend Tribe in the next few weeks so be sure to click on over there and see what I’ve gotten myself into. In the meantime, a break from the boob tube kind of comes at a great time as I have a STACK of books and – almost outdated – magazines waiting to be thumbed through. Though I may soon be in mourning over missing my favorite sitcoms and reality train wrecks, the upside is I’ll have more time for reading! I’m so kidding myself here, aren’t I?

What’s on tap:

The four hundred magazines I splurged on recently at Target. And I wonder why my bill is always over $100.

stacks-of-magazines

Vanity Fair with Mrs. Danny Moder on the cover. I’m not really interested in what she has to say about her new Snow White movie. I buy Vanity Fair for usually one reason only and it’s the FANFAIR: 30 Days in the Life of the Culture section. I heart VF!

– The beautiful brightly colored Easter eggs on the cover of Martha Stewart Living was what caught my eye but I’m drawn to the piece titled Labels 101: Organizing Systems That Actually Work.  And you know Martha just debuted her new office supplies this month so this also means a trip to Staples is in the works too.

– I’m a sucker for Real Simple and I don’t even love the magazine. The covers always lure me, whispering “Hey Wendy…look…85 ways to look younger!” Sold.

– Jennifer Aniston is pure perfection on the March issue of In Style. She is simply the only reason why I threw it on the pile when I was checking out at Target. I’m hoping she spills her secrets on how to get her crazy great body. And I’m hoping it includes eating a shit ton of chips and salsa. But probably not.

– I blew through the US Weekly in two seconds flat and it’s already sitting in my recycle dumpster on the side of the house.

I’ve also committed to reviewing three books and I’m super excited to dive into those. What I didn’t realize is that one – a memoir – is nearly 900 pages. I had no idea I was taking on Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina! Could it even be as good?  I’ll let you know.

book reads
I still have my book club’s book of the month to finish even though they already met last week to discuss the book (I had to miss because my back was hurting so badly). The Steve Jobs bio is still sitting on my beside table as is Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. And hold the phone, I just realized that Foer also wrote Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Wow. Those are completely different books.

And finally, I will have more time to read and comment on all my favorite blogs!  You know who you are!

What have you been reading?  Comment below and tell me because I’ll need something more to read after I get through this!

Have a great weekend!

Kathleen March 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

Next book club book is The Hunger Games (great). Skip MWF ;). I’m currently reading The Help, recently finished Girl With Dragon Tattoo and Cutting for Stone (both great).

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I’m totally resisting The Hunger Games. I just don’t do sci-fi (it’s sci-fi, right?). I tried so hard getting into Twilight and couldn’t. I may give up on MWF at your suggestion. I have The Help laying around too so I may add that to the list!

Sriti March 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wendy, read the Help if you have not yet. It is FANTASTIC! =)

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I did love the movie. And the book is sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read! Thanks for commenting Sriti! xo

Deborah Stambler March 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm

And don’t forget MomsLAReads–We’ve got Jennifer Egan’s A Visit from the Goon Squad as our first official recommendation. Meeting time coming soon! But check out MomsLA for more info.

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I will! Thanks for the info!! xo

Natalie March 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I’m still finishing the Happiness Project. But I forgot to pack it and my sister and I were at Target before we left, so I grabbed half the magazines you just mentioned + Hunger Games. I’m set for the next 48 hours!

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

OMG, another Hunger Games reader! Ack!! Have a great time this weekend! I’m SO jealous!

Megan March 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I read Anna Kerenina and it was better than I thought it would be. That MWF seeks BFF could be a good book for me, can’t wait to hear that review!

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Hey Megan – a friend from my book club told me to pass on it. I’d be happy to send it to you if you;d like! Let me know!!

Jamie March 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm

LOL Wendy, I love how your TV fast has turned into a magazine overload! That is awesome. I would go for the super trashy ones, though. In touch weekly all the way!

Wendy March 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Super trash is a given. I mean, before kid, I used to have a subscription to US Weekly! But now I hardly recognize any of the “celebrities” in there!

Mom March 17, 2012 at 10:27 am

http://www.suzannesomers.com/ I think Suzanne Somers bio was one that you spoke of when you were very young. I recently saw her on the OWN network with Rosie and she spoke about many topics that I know you are passionate about. So while your off the TV right now check out her facebook page, her blog, and other sources to see if you would be interested in one of about 20 of her books. Let me know what you think

Caryn Bailey March 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Truly? Children’s books…to my children. I wish I had time to read : ( I stopped my mag sub. b/c I wasn’t reading them….sigh……one day?

Shelby Barone March 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I wish I had more time to read. I usually do my reading while waiting in the car line to pick my kiddos up from school.

Kat March 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Hunger Games are a MUST!

Wendy March 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

You too? I just don’t get it!

MiMi Dibble March 19, 2012 at 7:03 am

Okay loved Twilight…not really sci fi but I do like the vampire, zombie things so it’s right up my alley. I’d like to read Steve Jobs but afraid I’d get bored. I have The Help and am getting The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo today. Also reading a couple true crime books, a mystery novel and an ADHD book. I have like 12 books on my night stand. I think I need to focus and get through that stack. I do love magazines too but cha ching!

Mama Bub March 22, 2012 at 10:06 am

Did you like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? I am still organizing my thoughts about that book, but it makes me apprehensive to take on any more Jonathan Safran Foer.

Carina March 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

Funny post. I don’t watch a lot of TV either. I do read magazines but I am too cheap to buy them. Settling on my Kindle.