Planning My Wedding Today | Chronically Distracted - Wendy Will Blog

Planning My Wedding Today | Chronically Distracted

April 27, 2012

I’m linking up today’s post over at Chronically Distracted. You do know that Chronically Distracted is one of my many side projects, right? Each month we focus on a topic based off the book The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. April we focused on love and marriage. We usually ask our readers to respond to a writing prompt as well. This week we posted three different prompts and asked our readers to respond to any of the three. Here they are:

1. What makes a couple a “happily married couple”?
2. The person who completely broke your heart is meeting you for coffee in an hour. Describe the next three hours.
3. If you were to plan your wedding today, what would you do differently from your original wedding day?

While I would love, love, love to respond to number two I think I’ll stay away from that one because my husband and my family occasionally read my blog and I’d just rather not go there, you know? Yeah, you know.

And I think I’m also going to stay away from the happily married couple question too. Not because I’m not part of a happy duo, I just would rather talk about the fact that I was a complete bridezilla when I planned my wedding. Who, me? Yes, me.

Back in 2001, I dreamt of a church wedding with a hotel reception. Gag. First of all, we don’t do church. We just don’t and don’t hate on me in the comments, ok? But I fell in love with a particular church and it was decided that we’d be married there. And then there was the reception. Well, we had a lot of people invited and we needed a place big enough to host all these people (half of we hardly knew or hardly still speak to now). I mean, it was fun and it turned out beautifully but I guess my tastes are just so different now. And finally, the dresses (not mine, I still very much like my wedding dress). I’m talking about the awful bridesmaid dresses I made my friends wear. I was very concerned with their budgets so I shopped exclusively at David’s Bridal for them but I HATED all the regular bridesmaid dresses. So what do I do? I chose a Mother-of-the-Bride dress for them. It was a two-piece. TWO PIECES! I’ll never forget going to a wedding two weeks before my own and the bride had chosen a knee-length dress for her girls and I loved it. It was summer after all. But there was no turning back so they wore silver, floor length, two-piece Mother-of-the-Bride dresses with silver strapy sandals. And they both totally rocked tight, crispy-hard, up-dos. I don’t know how there wasn’t a revolt. I kind of wish they would have!

church-wedding

So the question is if I were planning my wedding today how would it be different.   Oh, we would so be eloping. End of story.

So dish…what did your bridesmaids wear? I need the nitty-gritty details.

Nat April 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Ha! Mine wore David’s Bridal, too, but they got to pick their two piece dresses. Is that bad? I couldn’t decide on a color that would work on all of them, and they all said, “Navy.” So navy it was. We got married in October, so I think the long skirts were okay. They all seemed happy that they got to pick the top. They got to pick their hairdo, though. Some were crispy, others not so much. I think I got in just in the nick of time before the wedding hoopla started- I didn’t have a theme, not everything looked perfect, and we had an open bar. Done.

Denise April 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

SInce I don’t have wedding to comment on, I will comment on my sister’s wedding. She picked the best bridesmaids dresses. They were long but they looked good on all of us. The hotel-resort where she had her wedding was beautiful and there were other wedding there that weekend. One group we passed had the most awful pink and purple bridesmaids dresses & we were all loving my sister for not making us wear something so atrocious! On another note though, she was “kicked out” of her ball room two weeks before the wedding and had to have the reception in the restaurant. It was still nice but the set up of the restaurant was not good for dancing/socializing and I think a lot of people stayed at their tables after dinner because of it. I suspect if she could do it again, she would choose another venue!

Denise April 28, 2012 at 9:34 am

P.S. You’ve got to post a picture of your bridesmaids dresses :)

Megan April 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

Isnt it funny to look back and wish things had been different! I think there’s too much pressure to have big fancy productions. I love the cute little ones I see pics of now. Of course, our wedding choices suited us at te time

Kathleen April 28, 2012 at 12:41 pm

8 beautiful ladies in butter yellow satin 2-piece numbers from David’s Bridal. Yep, I’m sure they got a lot of use out of them after the wedding 😉

Nicole April 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I hate…detest…despise…abhor my wedding dress. It’s not bad; however I wanted something completely different. I love, worship and wish *I* owned the dress my bridesmaid dress. I picked this plain, knee length, strapless, Vera Wang cocktail dress in champagne so that they could dye it black when they were done and wear it later.

As for what I would do differently? I would still get married all over again at the same place (the Four Seasons Las Vegas,) but I would’ve splurged like no tomorrow. Eight years later and I loved that night so much that I wish I didn’t listen to everyone who told me to save my money for a house. I own my house, and not one dime was because of the money I saved on the flower arrangements.

Stefanie April 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I totally agree Nicole! Did we talk about this? My reception was that the Four Seaons, too!!

Kathleen, April 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm

My bridesmaids wore navy blue “tea” (read ankle) length dresses because the seamstress had a few too many while cutting the pattern. Floor length was contracted. What can you do. Still irked by my wedding album almost 17 years later. Give me another 17 to get over it.

Katy April 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm

This was fun for me to read since I’m right in the middle of planning with our destination wedding right around the corner in Bali August! I decided not to have bridesmaids and we’re keeping it small with a maid-of-honor and best man only. My maid-of-honor has the freedom to choose her dress. I really want her to choose something she loves and will wear again for sure. She has fabulous taste so I’m not worried. Of course we are in sync on colors, etc. I’ve been a bridesmaid too many times where I really didn’t care for the dress and I have never worn a single one again. Ohhh David’s Bridal, that place brings back memories!

Stefanie April 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Every wedding but mine, right!?!? :)

Katy April 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Haha! Funny because right after I posted that I thought, “oh no, Stef will think I didn’t like the dress!” I did LOVE those gorgeous ballgowns we wore but sadly I haven’t had an occassion to wear it since. Did I ever tell you I ripped the bottom of mine running up the stairs right before the ceremony? I think I may have told you afterwards but there was NO way I was mentioning it to you right before you walked down the aisle! Nobody seemed to notice though. :-)

Stefanie April 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm

That is funny!! I often think about what I would change, and honestly, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. Nothing. Even the candlelit color (which was actually a bronze) floor length ball gown my girls wore. It was very much me at the time, and if I went back to do it all over, I’d still do it. That was one of the best times of my life…my entire family in one place celebrating…it was awesome! Honeymoon was awesome! Venue was awesome! Everything leading up to it, awesome. Now, with that being said, I would like to renew my wedding vows. This year is 10 years, but not happening, so at 15. And, I would totally do that in an intimate setting with especially my kids, parents, in-laws. Then have a big kick- ass celebration…I still might actually surprise my husband next month and take him throw a drive-through wedding chapel. could be fun! Fun post!

Steph Calvert April 30, 2012 at 6:43 am

I went totally shot in the dark surprise me style with bridesmaid dresses! I found a piece of scrapbook paper that was a watercolory texture – it had aquas, turquoise, some seafoamy colors, but nothing exact. I cut it up into 4 pieces and gave them to my sisters and BFF and said go get a dress you like that goes with one of these colors. The result was happy bridesmaids in a range of dress styles and colors that all complemented each other awesomely!

Ashley @ It's Fitting April 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

I actually thought the bridesmaids dresses mine wore were cute. Not like, I’ll wear them again cute (because who the hell ACTUALLY does that) but cute. They were Ann Taylor and I gave them flipflops to wear after the ceremony… because hell, I changed into flipflops after the ceremony too. :-) I’m not THAT much of a bitch. The color was hydrangea blue, which considering all of the girls had blue eyes and light hair, looked pretty damn cute! I may have to write about my wedding and link up. Because it was fun, but probably the most emotionally draining/exhausting week of my life. Yes, WEEK. I blame my crazy bridezilla mother.