Time to Get this Party Started | #iwillrockthis

May 1, 2012

It’s Tuesday, May 1st and I’m thrilled to officially kick off the #iwillrockthis weight-loss challenge!  For the next 8 weeks, along with 30 other women, I’ll be fighting tooth and nail to get into that bikini bottom.  This body hasn’t seen a bikini since I was nineteen years old – and for good reason.  First it was the hips, then the booty, inner thighs, the muffin top, and then I caught a glimpse of cellulite on my arms. *shudder*  Throw being pregnant in there somewhere coupled with surgically induced menopause and some crazy meds I have to take in hopes of staying cancer-free.  *double shudder* I’ve totally lost control.  And I feel like crap.  This is not the body I want and I’m ready to change it.

So, what’s my plan?  Well, it’s pretty much broken down into less calories and a lot more exercise.  Simple, right?  *gulp*

I’ve got an ace in my back pocket though and it comes in the form of thirty super, kick-ass, amazing women who declared “I’M IN!” when I threw a line out in the water waiting to see who’d bite.  Thirty!  And though we’re all competing against each other, we’re all strangely supportive of one another. I’m hoping that doesn’t change mid-challenge. *fingers crossed*

Where’s the challenge part of this, you’re wondering, right?  Isn’t diet and exercise enough of a challenge!  Sure, but there had to be a prize.  Something to fight for.  And there are some rad prizes (I’ll be posting more about the fabulous people who generously donated to the winnings over the next few weeks).  There is also cash.  Cold, hard cash. Like $500 cash.  That definitely something to fight for!

Many of the 30 women are bloggers and I’m loving that they’ve embraced the idea of writing about their journey over the next 8 weeks.  Today, I’m adding a linky at the bottom of this post so my  fellow participants can link up their kick-off posts.  Go give them some love and see what their respective plans are to win the 500 bucks!  One gal consulted with a family friend who also coaches basketball and he drew up some very specific instructions on what she needs to do to win.  Someone else hired a trainer *ahem, me, ahem* and another is currently training for a 1/2 marathon.  There are some serious contenders in this group!

Me?  Beyond the trainer?  Well, no more fancy Starbucks coffees, no more soda of any kind, no processed foods, no fast food, no pizza delivery, no booze, and no late night desserts after everyone’s gone to bed.  More fruit, more veggies, more fish.  More juicing, more smoothies with chia seeds, more greens and more water.  And definitely more sweat.  A lot more sweat.

I encourage you to follow along over the next 8 weeks.  I’ll be posting before, mid, and after photos of me and some of the other brave souls who have agreed to my hard sell.  Bless their hearts.

Before you go, you must tell me what your favorite go-to exercise is.  The one that gets you the most results.  Is it Jillian’s 30-Day Shred, countless hours logged on a treadmill, spin class, Zumba, what?

Ali May 1, 2012 at 4:27 am

Good Luck! You certainly have more willpower that I do!

Wendy May 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I have zero willpower. That’s why I roped so many others in with me for the support and the competition. Thanks so much for the good wishes!

Flowergurlie May 1, 2012 at 5:03 am

You go girl! Good luck!! I’ll be following along.

Wendy May 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Please follow along! I’ll need all the motivation I can get!

Ali May 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm

sheesh! scare me, would ya!?!? I got to the bottom and saw that “Ali” had left a comment…I couldn’t recall being ALIVE at 427a, let alone READING A BLOG! 😉 Lucky I could drag my tush out of bed at 445a, after both of my alarms had gone off and woken up the hubs! That’s the point where I knew I had to get up and out of the room before a pillow smacked me across the head! 😉

We are SO going to ROCK THIS!

Wendy May 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm

You’re funny!

Ali May 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

OH! My go to workout…Swimming!

Wendy May 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I would totally swim if I didn’t have to get into a bathing suit. Full circle moment.

Nat May 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m going to be trying several workouts for the first month. I wanted to do the 30-day shred but can’t find it via online sources anywhere- but I may try Amazon later. Thanks for putting this together, Wendy- whether you win or not, you ROCK!

Wendy May 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ahh, you’re so sweet and I appreciate your enthusiasm and help with everything! You rock!

Ann Odle May 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’m planning on cutting waaaaay back on any snack food; walking as much as possible (the dog will love tha); and generally drinking water instead of wine (we’ll see how long that lasts!). I’m looking forward to lots of support from all you ladies too! Thanks!

Nicole May 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m such a mean and angry gum ball, bitter and high-strung right now.

Wendy May 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

Girl, you gotta eat.

Betsy May 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Good luck! I wish I had paid more attention when you were throwing this out there because I’m starting my own little weight loss game against myself. Hoping to gain some inspiration from you ladies!

Wendy May 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

I definitely hope we’re able to give you some inspiration! Thanks for commenting.

Shelby Barone May 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I left everyone comments. (hopefully..this airplane wifi is a little funky) I will share my post tonight.

Katy May 2, 2012 at 5:11 am

Good for you for taking on this challenge Wendy! Love it! How awesome 30 ladies are joining you too! I’m cheering for all of you! My favorite go-to isn’t really one particular exercise but more the “sweet-spot” combo I’ve found for myself. Strength-training (pilates & resistance training) combined with different cardio (treadmill, circuits, bike) has worked best for me. Changing eating habits has done wonders. Once you get past the inital week or two you’ll feel great!

Wendy May 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks for the tips! I’m taking my first Pilates reformer class this weekend! I’m hoping to love it!

Mary May 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Good luck to all the competitors in the challenge! Everyone is a winner in the big picture of weight loss and getting fit. Can’t wait to watch your progress and use that as my own inspiration!

Wendy May 2, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks so much! And I appreciate you taking the time to comment!