The Wardrobe Code | Nicole Longstreath

May 3, 2012

You all know I’m hosting the #iwillrockthis weight loss challenge, right? In addition to pocketing some serious cash, the biggest loser will also rack up some killer prizes. Like really good prizes, if I say so myself. Over the next few weeks, I will feature some of the fabulous people and/or brands who have generously donated their services or goods to the amazing prize package!

With that, let me introduce you to the lovely Nicole Longstreath of The Wardrobe Code.

nicole-longstreath-the-wardrobe-code

Nicole makes it clear that she’s not a “typical wardrobe consultant” but instead a “wardrobe coach.” She is confident about giving her clients unique and affordable solutions to develop their most expressive wardrobe. Her services include personal shopping, outfit planning, and “Ready, Set, Dress” where she teaches you the basics, edits and organizes your current wardrobe, and plans two weeks of outfits.

Nicole started out in interior design and worked for 5 years in both residential and commercial design. She came up with the idea of her wardrobe coaching business because she had just overcome her own, lifelong struggle with fashion and wanted to help others. She says she had identified a few key mistakes women make and set out to change it. Some of those mistake are 1.) emotional shopping 2.) buying without a plan and 3.) failing to keep their closets organized in some way.

Nicole-Longstreath-Closet-Wardrobe-Coach

Nicole working her magic.

Most days I’m guilty of wearing jeans and sneakers and some variety of a tee. This is what I’m comfortable in and on some days people may think I’ve given up on trying to put a look together. I asked Nicole what she thought about this. She says she knows women give up.  However, having a personal style has lost it’s value with the public at-large, and style consulting is usually a luxury most can’t afford. She believes the main problem is access to good-quality, affordable clothing saying “Suddenly, we’re filling our closets with disposable clothing from Target. It doesn’t help that our entire culture’s values have shifted away from quality to quantity. Most women don’t see that it’s a smarter investment to buy one, nice garment from Bloomingdale’s than four poorly-made ones from H&M.”

Nicole strongly believes clothing is an investment. She says that is not meant to scare off or intimidate people who shop at Target (phew!), but she wants them to see that they’re worth a $150 jacket over something poorly-made. Her remedy is simple; if you want nice clothes, then you need to shop less and buy better. She suggests trying to shop only one time per month and buy only one thing you really love. This way, you’ll be much more satisfied with your wardrobe.

Nicole-Longstreath-wardrobe-coach

Gorgeous, right?

Get this though, Nicole completely built her own fabulous wardrobe from a local community thrift store for under $1,000. What?!  She says she still shops almost exclusively at Goodwill stores, unless she needs a statement piece. Her reason is because all the clothing is of mixed origin and she feels like the fashion is coming to her, instead of her hunting for it. She says the best things she’s found shopping thrift stores are pants, silk blouses, and shoes. Her biggest thrift store tip: “it takes time and focus, so don’t take your husband, kids or friends. You need a solid 2-3 hours to thoroughly comb as much of the store as you can for the best results.”

We talked trends for a bit and I wanted to know her thoughts on the 80′s comeback – neon. She says that wearing neons in an accessory or pairing with neutrals is the best way to wear them but that trend is about expired. Instead, she says, focus on pastels until about July and pair them with rich, deep darks.

Finally, Nicole says the one thing everyone needs for Summer 2012 is a weekend go-to outfit formula. She recommends a pair of shorts with an inseam no shorter than 5″, a loose and lightweight cotton button-down over a ribbed tank top, and consider a comfortable sandal especially one with a low wedge heel.

book-by-nicole-longstreath

Nicole believe she’s has the tools and knowledge that works for everyone. If you’re desperate for a style overhaul or even just a bit of organization, you should definitely check out Nicole’s blog for some incredible advice. She also has an ebook called “Reclaiming Your Wardrobe” and followers can subscribe to her newsletter by signing up at her website. Are you busy June 2nd? Register for Nicole’s workshop “Reclaiming Your Wardrobe – The Event” where participants will learn more about style, organization, creating color schemes and so much more!

Would you consider completely re-building your own wardrobe by shopping a local community thrift store?  Talk to me!

This is a non-sponsored post.  Nicole from The Wardrobe Code has generously donated her personal coaching services to the winner of the #iwillrockthis weight loss challenge.  This post appears in exchange for her services.

Shari May 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

Oh jeez. This is awesome. Is it too late to sign up for your weight loss challenge? This is huge incentive. I know after talking to Nicole a few weeks ago, I removed all of those clothes, a bit too small that were hanging in my closet depressing me when I reached for them and realized they don’t fit. I stored them away according to size and will pull them out as they fit again. I can’t wait.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I did the same thing too, Shari! Seriously, I have two pairs of pants and a couple of shirts left. I donated everything else to the Goodwill! The only thing I kept that is currently too small are jeans. Fingers crossed I can get back into them by the end of summer!

Stefanie May 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

Yes, this is awesome. I’ve actually been thinking about hiring someone to come and do this to my closet. I go through my closet every 6 months and just get rid of stuff. It’s so true, though, I get emotionally attached to my clothes. But since my babies I just know I’m not getting back into those size 2s again. Ever.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm

You should totally hire Nicole from The Wardrobe Code! I bet she’d fly out to Vegas!
I tossed a bunch of pre-pregnancy clothes just recently. It’s been 4 1/2 years, it’s just not going to happen.

Carolyn West May 3, 2012 at 10:08 am

Nicole… I NEED YOU DESPERATELY!!!!!

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Yay! Thanks for the comment!!
Here’s hoping you win the #iwillrockthis challenge and you’ll get Nicole all to yourself!

Alma May 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

Would love to learn your expert tips to make the most of my outfits.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Isn’t this amazing? I really encourage you to check out her blog where she gives TONS of tips. I really want to take her seminar too…maybe the one in June!

Jessica May 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I SO need this! Thanks to both Wendy and Nicole!

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I think everyone needs this! Great incentive to win the challenge, right?

Nicole May 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm

My world could be falling apart and dishes piled to the ceiling, but my closet is alway meticulously organized. If my closet doesn’t resemble a store, I can’t sleep. I love just sitting back and staring at it. It makes me calm. (I just don’t ever go anywhere I need to wear anything more than jeans.)

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I wouldn’t expect anything less from you Nicole!
And you lie…you are all fancy-schmancy with your designer duds!

Katy May 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I’m very guilty of mistake #3, failing to keep my closet organized! It’s pretty pathetic actually and I need to make it happen. I really like her tip about thinking of clothes you buy as an investment. It makes sense. I’ll definitely be checking out her website and ebook so I can benefit from her great tips from afar.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Mine was totally disorganized until I took a few of Nicole’s tips and pulled out everything that I haven’t worn in years or that didn’t fit. That sure made it “look” organized.

Ali May 3, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I have been a 2nd-hand shopper most of my life…I’ve thrift shopped for myself, as well as for others. Not just for clothing. I once furnished an entire home for a friend…ALL THRIFT STORE BUYS! And it looked like they had spent THOUSANDS on furnishing their new home.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm

That’s awesome! I’m not opposed to thrift store shopping. Someone told me yesterday that there are GREAT finds in the Palm Desert area because all the snow birds ditch their stuff before heading back home. Road trip!

Nat May 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I so need this! And I am totally guilty of disposable clothing and Target shopping. It’s so convenient, but I never keep any of it for more than 6-9 months. Then it’s worn out. I also have a hard time investing in clothes when I know that they will be drooled on, spat up on, and worse. I can’t even wear jewelry right now because my baby girl is so grabby and yanky- she’d rip out my earring in a heart beat. I do fantasize about wearing designer/nicer labels, but prices often prevent me from even considering it.

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I’m a disposable clothing queen!

Stacey May 3, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I sadly rotate only a few outfits that fit me right now, and they are stretchy pants and shorts. This is awesome !!

Wendy May 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Oh yeah, me too.

Shelby Barone May 3, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I totally need her badly! I am such a jeans & t-shirt junkie.

Caryn Bailey May 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Love what you said about clothing being an investment. Too many times I spend too little money and get clothes that aren’t well made. Not sure if I’d shop a thrift store….interesting