Jabs, Praise, and Shingles - Wendy Will Blog

Jabs, Praise, and Shingles

May 16, 2012

The women participating in the #iwillrockthis weight-loss challenge are some serious contenders.  We’ve completed two full weeks and I am so impressed by how freaking fantastic everyone is doing.  I’m almost jealous at some of the tremendous losses.  Not almost.  I am definitely jealous.  It’s not like I haven’t been trying. More on that in a second.

It’s very likely I won’t be wearing this bikini bottom this summer.  Sigh.  I AM NOT GIVING UP.  I got an earful of shit last week after my junk food binge.  Yes, sometimes getting jabbed and told I can’t do it makes me want to prove you wrong.  But, really…don’t we all work better with some praise?

Last week I felt WAY off.  I was dizzy and light headed and I thought it was from consuming so much crappy food that one day or  eliminating sugar and caffeine. Then I broke out in a gnarly rash the size of a deck of cards on my back.  My first thought was that it was a staph infection.  My dog had been recently diagnosed with MRSA – the flesh eating bacteria – staph in her ear and of course I thought I had it too.  I noticed that the rash was spreading in a linear manner across my back around front to my rib cage.  And because I tell everyone everything about what’s wrong with me, I told a friend who said, “I wonder if it’s shingles” (and her point of reference was an old episode of “Nip/Tuck” – for real).  Well, hot damn, she was right!  After about four days of cortisone cream, I went to the doctor who confirmed it was indeed shingles.  Holy crap!  I’m 37 years old.  I thought shingles was an older persons illness.  Oh wait…that’s what I thought about breast cancer too.  Wrong again.  Anyway, shingles is a virus and it causes those flu-like symptoms.  Needless to say, I didn’t do a whole lot in terms of exercise last week because I was beyond wiped out.

It’s been about seven days now and I’ve probably got another seven before it’s totally gone.  I think the worst has passed so I can’t use it as an excuse anymore.  I’m really shooting for a 2-3 pound loss by next week’s weigh-in.  I’ve been near the bottom of the standings – and while I technically took myself out of the competition as being an actual winner of the prizes – I still want to been seen as a competitor.

So are you ready to see some BEFORE photos?  I’m hoping some of the others will allow me to post some before photos of them but this time it’s just me.  Me in my horribly messy bathroom and wearing some super unflattering lounge-around-the-house clothes.

wendy-will-blog

wendy-will-blog

I’m really hoping by July 1st you’ll see difference.  Fingers crossed.

Jabs or praise?  What do you got for me?

MommaKiss May 16, 2012 at 7:27 am

shingles – a friend had them, it’s like adult chicken pox, right? and wicked itchy. hope that works out for ya.

i’d like to say that i love your haircut. like, a lot.

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Thanks for the hair compliment! You have no idea what those mean to a previously bald-headed girl! xo

MommaKiss May 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

gonna be honest, i totally forgot you lost your hair. it looks that amazing 😉 my girl A who’s still got some of her ‘chemo curls’ growing in can’t wait for that ‘tuck behind her ear’ length.

Kat May 16, 2012 at 8:06 am

I think I will be brave and post some pictures. Great idea to really see the progress. Sorry about your Shingles. I hope you’re feeling 100% soon!

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:53 pm

You better post some photos because you’re gonna rock it this week, right?!
Thanks for the well wishes – I’m on the mend, for sure.

Heidi May 16, 2012 at 8:07 am

Don’t be hard on yourself… It has only been 2 weeks. Even the people who have lost a lot in the beginning have to keep it off for the next 6 weeks. There is a lot of time to go. Also, having shingles is not easy… you will do great this week. I know it!!!

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I feel like I have to be hard on myself otherwise I’ll let myself slide into a binge-fest again. You’re doing so ultra great though – I’m jealous!! Secrets please!!

Heidi May 17, 2012 at 7:07 am

No major secret. I have been tracking everything I eat and I have been trying to exercise or do something active every day. If I see by lunch I am using a lot of calories then I try and make my dinner something lower in calories (salad, veggies). I also allow myself something if I want (i.e. candy, frozen yogurt, chips) but in very small portions. I have the personality where if I completely deprive myself I am worse off… then I will go on a binge. Also, I am drinking a lot of water – I take my cup with me everywhere and I am always filling it. And the last thing that we talked about – when I get frustrated with my girls… I have been staying away from the kitchen – I go outside and weed or go upstairs and reorganize my drawers or something. I just need to stay away from the food. That is where I break and go for something bad. You have to find what works best for your body… some people are good at moderation and others are better at staying away all together.

Nicole May 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

Who would’ve thunk my little crush on Dr. Christian Troy would lead to your proper diagnosis of shingles? HA!!!

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I seriously thought you were crazy but sure enough Dr. Google confirmed your diagnosis when I got home that night followed by a IRL doctor the following day! I think you should go to med school!

Ann Odle May 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Hope you’re feeling better soon! Whenever I’m feeling bad, I tend to give in to temptation & eat all kinds of crap.
I don’t know that I’m brave enough for a before picture (or even an after one LOL!)

Mama Bub May 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I think the only way we’re going to make it through this is to just let go of the things we’re doing “wrong.” I absolutely can not dwell on the Sprinkles cupcake I had on Sunday. It’s done, and I’m moving forward. I have a similar situation of little support going on around here. I’m trying to ignore it, but I need a Bob – not a Jillian – in my corner.

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Yes, but I feel I’m doing more wrong than right. It’s hard breaking a life time of bad habits. If it makes you feel better, one Sprinkles cupcake is nothing compared to the peach cobbler I inhaled on Sunday! Treadmill tomorrow!

Nat May 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm

You are being dealt a serious deck of shitty cards, my friend. And yet, you persevere! You are amazing. Just for thinking of this whole thing- you are amazing!

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:58 pm

You’re so sweet! xo

Amanda ~ sunny vegan May 16, 2012 at 4:08 pm

You got this! It took time to gain, allow yourself the time to loose in a healthy way =)
Those shingles can be nasty, take care of yourself!

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for the support Amanda! And the well wishes!

Erica May 16, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I will shared post soon, I swear…but you look fabulous! Wait, would it kill you to smile though? Oh yeah, shingles. Boo..

Wendy May 16, 2012 at 11:00 pm

That’s my “I’m taking a self portrait” smirk. :-)

Ali May 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’m a little late to this post, but I want to tell you…shingles is no joke. Just the fact that you are pushing through and moving forward, instead of letting it knock you down…that’s HUGE! And it is deserving of praise!

I will give you a little jab, too, though. With everything you have survived, honey, this weight loss thing is NOTHING! You just need to keep your head up, remind yourself WHO you are doing this for (hopefully, that answer is YOURSELF), and remember that it’s okay if you fall, as long as you get up, dust off, and try again! A positive attitude will get you farther than you could imagine…keep thinking about that amazing feeling you will have when you reach your goal! And be sure to have a reward for yourself, at the end of this, too, since you aren’t partaking in the prizes.

Kelly May 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

Yuck-o…. Shingles are the worst. One of my friends gets them and is having an outbreak right now. I have to stay away from him because my mom told me that she had too many kids and honestly can’t remember if I had chicken pox…. She says she is “pretty sure” she made sure we all got them from each other, but she can’t remember… hahaha

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hey Kelly! It’s been a LONG time!
Yes, my little girl hasn’t had the chicken pox either and wasn’t yet fully vaccinated for it so of course I was worried she’s get them from the Shingles. And, I didn’t know you can get occasional “outbreaks” – I wish it was one and done but it doesn’t look that way! Boo!