Time to Adjust My Weight Loss Goals

May 30, 2012

Yesterday marked the official mid-way point in the #iwillrockthis weight-loss challenge!  I can’t believe we’re half done and mostly because I am NO WHERE near where I wanted to be at the end of week four.  My weight-loss goal – and for the sake of being totally transparent – was to lose 16 lbs. by the end of 8 weeks.  I’ve fluctuated between 1-3 lbs. — TOTAL.  Totally depressing.  Especially because I have been exercising, and working with a trainer, and eating WAY BETTER than I have in a long time.  And I’ve got zilch to show for it.  It might be time to adjust my weight loss goals.

toes_scale_weight_loss

So, I’ve considered throwing in the towel but it really changes from hour to hour.  Like, my mornings are great…they start of good until I start craving a cherry danish from the donut shop.  I got around that particular want for a short while when I found dried cherries fulfilled that tartness I wanted when I added them to oatmeal.  But lately, my breakfast habits have been shit.  I’m having coffee only and find myself ravenous by 10am.  Cue the cherry danish.  Lunch and dinner are easy.  I usually make good choices there.  But then night time falls and I want snacks like chocolate bars dipped in peanut butter.  *Guilty*

whats_for_dinner_weight_loss

Left: grilled chicken, spinach, & goat cheese. Right: Beets with goat cheese, brussels sprouts, turkey & sweet potato patty with rice.

I say to myself  – “the bikini is not happening so give up already!”  But I don’t want to give up.  I want to keep working, even if I’m just chipping away at it.  Really though, the bikini is definitely not happening.  So, I’m making a small adjustment.  I’m looking at August 1.  I’m heading to NYC for the annual BlogHer conference and MORE THAN ANYTHING I just want to feel confident in my body – even if it’s wrapped up tight in Spanx.

all_the_things_wrong_with_me

I so totally know how wrong this photo is.  Besides sharing with the internet that my bathroom is a pig-sty, I’m pointing out every single thing I think is wrong with myself.  It’s totally, 100% self-depricating.  Whatev.  It’s honestly what I see and think throughout the day so why not share it with you.

adjusting_goalsThese three photos give me some great motivation.  I’d kill to have either of those tummies or legs that don’t look like tree stumps.  And a horizontal striped bathing suit!  Beyond my wildest dreams.

Will I ever get there?

Mom May 30, 2012 at 4:57 am

Try some Lasix’s for your water retention that’s what going on in your legs and cankles. Get your engine started in your first meal of the day you can still have your coffee (without sugar and use low or non fat creamer) Whole grains and fruit, oatmeal and your ready to go until lunch. If you do sugar thou it’s best to do it first thing. Stay away from energy drinks to much sodium. If your lovin your mid night snack popcorn with some Dark chocolate chips will do the trick. Dark chocolate being your best choice ever. Your weight is not bad; check the charters for you height and bone structure.
too see where they say you should be at and then exercise daily; yogo, walking, lifting soap cans, whatever can keep you moving. Most of all stay determined. :Love Mom

Heidi May 30, 2012 at 7:35 am

You will definitely get there. Maybe you need to change it up – not all bodies work the same. You are working hard and it will show. You also need to eat breakfast – remember they told us it was the most important meal of the day – I never thought it was true but it is… it gets your metabolism going and that way you are not starving at 10.

Mary May 30, 2012 at 8:26 am

Hang in there Wendy. Look in the mirror and tell yourself good things! Your hair looks great- love a new eye shadow or lip gloss. Better to tell yourself how great you are! Eat a nice breakfast like the oatmeal mentioned above or eggs. I make up three a day and take the yoke out of two of them. You can make up a quick scramble with tomatoes and spinach. A great way to start your day! That will make it so much easier to walk past the pastry. If you must eat it, take a bite or two and throw the rest away! That is the trick there for sure. You know your really in trouble ifyou go through the trash for the rest! Just keep telling yourself you know what it tastes like so you don’t need to eat it! Hope this helps! Everyday is a new day to make good choices!!

Nat May 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

I love you. We’ve never met, but I do. Can we Skype soon? This is hard. I’ve definitely hit that plateau- I’m in basically the same boat, yet it melted off with HCG. So frustrating because I don’t want to rely on something to help me lose weight- it will just come back, but I also want help somehow. I’m eating all these fruits and veggies, and exercising…and nothing. Well, 2 pounds, right? I think the big picture, for me at least, is that I’m making lots of positive choices all at once, and maybe my body just needs time to react to all of it. Yeah, that’s it. Let’s go with that.

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Nat – You’re doing great! And yes, we have an online meeting tonight, right?? Can’t wait!

Mama Bub May 30, 2012 at 10:07 am

Would a popsicle cure your craving for sweets at night? I KNOW, it’s totally not the same, and I give my popsicle, or the one piece of dark chocolate that I allow myself without guilt, a dirty look every night, because all I want is a giant box of candy that I can snack on while watching TV.

Can I recommend the chia seeds? I would SWEAR they’re helping me. They are supposed to speed up metabolism and they’re the number one thing Dr. Oz recommends for weight loss. I put them in my smoothies, but you can put them in anything really. I also like them on salads and I tolerate them in oatmeal.

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Got the chia seeds and really like using them so far. I was super bloated the first day and wondered if the seeds caused that. I’ll have to wait and see.
Oh! And I got some new coconut popsicles from Trader Joes that have totally been satisfying my nightly sweet tooth!

Mama Bub June 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Hmm. I haven’t noticed the bloating. They do expand with liquid. Are you blending them into your smoothies or adding them afterward? If I blend them in, I don’t even notice them at all, and maybe that helps with the absorption. People say to drink a lot of water if you’re using them, but I would think adding them to a smoothie would negate the need for water.

Nicole @theWardrobeCode May 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

How brave of you to share your photo and your feelings. Sometimes just being vulnerable like you are now is encouraging to others. Thank you for leading the group.

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

There is definitely something to being transparent, don’t you think? I’m like a lot of other women with the same feelings about my body. Just hoping to connect with them on a personal level. I definitely am who I am. Now I just need you to dress this body of mine and make it look slammin’!

Laural Out Loud May 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Some people can’t lose weight because their bodies are allergic to certain types of mainstream foods. Like dairy, or wheat. Can you try eliminating starchy carbs from your diet (you can increase certain veggies to make up the nutritional loss) and see how it goes? If that’s the case, after three days you won’t be craving sweets AT ALL.

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

I hadn’t thought about allergies. I’d love to use that as an excuse!! I am cutting carbs after lunch. A bit extreme for me, but I need to go extreme considering I haven’t lost anything but 2lbs. over a 5 week period. And I’m exercising and eating way better than ever before.

Galit Breen May 30, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love how honest you are.

(When I look at myself, I think like you do.)

I also love that you’re willing to adjust your goals and expectations. That kind of flexibility seems VITAL, just like ti is with anything else, yes?

I’m still cheering for you!!

Wendy June 4, 2012 at 11:55 am

You’re an absolute doll, Galit! Thank you for your never ending support!!

S from NYC July 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm

You are obviously trying your best to eat well for your health [aren’t we all?], it’s much better than a lot of people I know! Have you seen ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ ? [and no you are not fat, it’s a film an Australian guy made about himself, he is calling himself that]. I don’t know about California, but juicing here in NYC is pretty big, easy to do and find. I would not have believed it until I tried it – 10 days really does kill cravings, makes you feel like a teenage superhero [healthy with lots of energy], and it drops weight initially quickly. It’s a nice restart, in other words; but I like that the guy did it as an experiment for his health. You do what works for you, just some ideas! My sister discovered she had some mild food allergies [she stays away from wheat, I have sensitivities to dairy], so these things can also affect weight loss. Congrats on your continued health too, it [cancer] runs in my family, you look healthy and happy, regardless of your weight! Thank you for the blog and your honesty.

S from NYC July 2, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Ah also this happened to me – sometimes when I eat well and work out [in the first few weeks or month], I don’t lose weight, because I [and probably you] are building muscle mass [which weighs more than fat]. Maybe check your BMI, if you haven’t already [your personal trainer probably also knows this]; you might have a lot less fat and more muscle [much healthier and more toned] even at the same weight. It’s this plateau, possibly if you go a few more weeks doing what you are doing – and then it drops; because also [yay!] the muscle burns many more calories at rest. I always forget this and get discouraged in the first month or so, and then in the next few months it turns around. I have so been there. Thank you again!! You do look good, love the hair and pedicures [on the scale!]. Also I forgot to mention with the juicing [with me at least], it gets rid of fluid retention by about the 3rd or 4th day; and if I feel like I am going to break the juice thing by getting too hungry, I drink a smoothie and can stay on it.