Sheryl Crow Diagnosed with Brain Tumor

June 6, 2012

Did you read that Sheryl Crow was diagnosed with a brain tumor?  I saw the headline on Yahoo yesterday and I immediately thought she was diagnosed with metastatic cancer.  Thankfully, it’s not.

Sheryl-Crow-Diagnosed-Brain-TumorHere’s your breast cancer lesson for today.  Once you are diagnosed with breast cancer there is always a chance that it can come back as metastatic cancer.  It doesn’t matter if you had that tumor removed or underwent chemotherapy and radiation treatment.  There is always a chance that those original breast cancer cells have survived.  When breast cancer comes back, it tends to show up in specific areas of the body: the chest wall, lymph nodes, bones, lungs, liver, and brain.  So let’s say it comes back in the brain.  That patient is then diagnosed as having metastatic breast cancer of the brain.

Naturally, when I saw “Sheryl Crow Brain Tumor” trending, I thought for sure it was metastasis.  Her rep’s say that the “condition…is very common” and that the meningioma tumor is indeed benign.  What I find totally ridiculous though is Crow’s own statement.  She said  “I worried about my memory so much that I went and got an MRI. And I found out I have a brain tumor.”

I bothers me that her “condition” is so simplified.

This is one of the few times I would like to see a celebrity use their platform.  I want Sheryl Crow to talk about the emotional roller coaster of what it means to be a cancer survivor.  I want her to talk about how every ache and pain brings fear that cancer has spread.  If you’re worried enough to get a MRI, you’re worried that it’s metastasis.  I would just like to hear her say that – instead of reducing it to her concern over memory loss.  As a cancer survivor myself, I need a public figure to give validity to the very real feelings I – and others – deal with.

Be it cancer, depression, dyslexia, anxiety or whatever else – do you think celebrities have a responsibility to be totally transparent to the public?

TheNextMartha June 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

I thought the same thing. My neighbor didn’t know she had lung cancer until the brain tumor that had spread to there had caused issues. I’m glad the outcome is good for her and I really hope they are being truthful in this and not trying to cover up the fact that it is from matastasis. It’s hard to put my expectations on how someone else should react. Especially a more public figure.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Damn, I’m sorry to hear about your neighbor!
I guess I feel like I’m owed something from these celebrities. But that’s not really fair, is it?

Nicole June 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

I understand where you are coming from, but we can’t assign or expect any celebrity to do anything more than they are comfortable with. She has ALWAYS been a very private person, and I would bet she is helping the cause financially more than all of us combined, so until someone is ready to be the loud voice I think they deserve the privacy. Don’t forget, when this happened to her the first time she also had to deal publicly with her high-profile break-up and Guiliana Rancic had to answer the questions about the miscarriage. If I were a celeb, I don’t think I’d want to revisit all those feelings and memories on top of battling cancer. I’d just want to be able to move on and survive.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Well, I’d just like to say that I too would like to move on and survive. If only it was that easy.

Nicole June 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

See! Exactly! If it that difficult with just a few hundred FB friends and family like we have, could you imagine having 1,000,000+ and having to move on?

Megan June 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I don’t think they have an obligation, because transparency is a hard thing to have. I remember the backlash with Paula Deen – I thought it was horrible! Just because she is a celebrity didn’t mean she had to change her brand based on a disease. She had always said her show was not for everyday consumption.
I welcome anyone who chooses to be transparent, and support them, knowing there will always be someone who judges them.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Yes, I welcome and respect anyone who is totally transparent. Regardless of the disease.

So you think you can mom? June 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

Giuliana Rancic has been doing a great job of speaking out about her survival. She’s very inspirational. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/giuliana-rancic-breast-cancer-diagnosis-hasnt-changed-me-2012163

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I agree about Giuliana Rancic! I have already written twice about her diagnosis. The first I expressed the same sentiment I wrote about today and the second was about my worry that she’d be cured by the magic of TV (in regards to her reality show). I have a post brewing for her. I’m really pleased with how open and honest she’s been.

Jennifer June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I think it would be great if they would use their platform to spread the word about serious issues. Alas, that does not always happen.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Well, many celebs use their platform to talk about serious issues but not personal health issues. And that’s what I’m seeking.

Ashley June 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I truly believe that if you put yourself out there as a celebrity and decide to share your diagnosis and treatment options/beliefs/etc, then you owe it to tell everything. I don’t believe that sharing a little bit is helpful to anyone, especially in this age when people are LOOKING for help and support from others… even celebrities. Sheryl Crow has been SO out there supporting breast cancer research and raising money, that I think it would be awesome if she would share much more about her journey than she has. The same with other people that choose to go public with their diagnoses. Just my two cents though.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Agree! I simply want the veil lifted on the disease. Let’s face it, we live in a society where the masses listen to what celebrities have to say. No one’s listening to me shouting from behind my computer that we need to find a cure for this disease. If Sheryl Crow, Christina Applegate, Melissa Etheridge, Cynthia Nixon, Edie Falco, Kylie Minogue, or Jaclyn Smith (to name only a few) spoke openly about their diagnosis, their treatment plan, the after care, their fears, thoughts on how they developed the disease – people would listen, especially women. Breast cancer is the number 2 killer of women in the U.S. and many women don’t even know what BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 are. It’s frightening.

The Woman Formerly Known As Beautiful June 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hi Wendy — I can completely understand your need to have Sheryl put a celebrity face to Cancer. However, I understand why she’s trying to minimize it. She’s a rock star and my guess is that “disease” just isn’t sexy for rock stars. Either that or she doesn’t want to be identified predominantly as a cancer survivor. Just a guess.

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Yep. That bums me out.
I certainly don’t want to be identified only as a cancer survivor either but those are the cards I’ve been dealt and instead of feeling ashamed or annoyed by it, I am trying to do what I can with it. Thanks for commenting, Shannon!

Shari June 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

That’s so scary. I’m sure I’d be paranoid all of the time worrying what could be. As far as Sheryl Crow, I’m sure things are being downplayed by her reps. If she was concerned about her memory and now has a brain tumor, it very well could be causing it. Probably because she’s a rock as your above commenter said or perhaps not to worry her kids. We can’t always depend on all celebrities to be open. They more than likely have their own issues. Cancer sucks!

Wendy June 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Ah, Shari. You bring up a good point — “They likely have their own issues.” I guess I sometimes forget that celebrities are people too going through many of the same problems we all do (within reason, of course). Maybe it is unfair for me to ask more of them. *sigh*

Mary June 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I agree it would be nice if more stood up for a cause. I just left my oncology appt this afternoon and will only have one refill left on my arimidex. While that is good news it is also very scary to me as I know even now I worry about a reoccurrence and w/out my drug I will worry more! But I feel good and can only be diligent with my proactive screenings and pray I will remain cancer free!
My beef is the gay celebrities who won’t allow themselves to be open and honest. I take for example Sam Champion on GMA who we all know is gay. A couple of years ago they had a segment on spouses and he talked about his family but never mentioned his partner! I find that totally insulting! It will only become “natural” to see gays together and married and no big deal if we are lead by example of our celebrities!

Wendy June 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Yay for you almost being done with Arimidex! Man, that stuff really messed up my joints! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Shelby Barone June 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I do feel that she should talk about her experience. I know that a lot of people will be able to relate & she can help educate people.

Wendy June 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for your support, Shelby!

Caryn B June 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I think cancer is a very personal issue….yes she’s out there and has put herself in the spotlight but I think her journey can and should be private if she wishes…I know that’s probably not the answer you want to hear but she is likely going through a difficult time and perhaps doesn’t want the whole world to know? I don’t know…I think I’d want my privacy…I do think she could use this as an opp. to talk and help others but only if that’s what she’s passionate about…she may just be trying to survive…

Wendy June 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hey Caryn – thanks for commenting! I’m not looking for one answer as I personally know how complicated a decision like this can be. I know I definitely wanted privacy too. Hell, I wouldn’t shop in my regular grocery store when I was going through chemo because I wanted to avoid any awkward run ins, you know?