What to Wear to BlogHer | Wardrobe Plan

July 6, 2012

I sent a text to my BlogHer  roommate yesterday to tell her I was having a minor panic attack browsing for dresses.  I rarely wear dresses or skirts in my everyday life but I feel like a party deserves a cocktail dress, don’t you?

I’m not sure why I was panicking.  That’s a lie, I do.  It’s because I want to look cute and put together and I’m still trying to figure out how to dress myself at 37 years old.  I simply don’t know what looks good on me.  I’m curvy, I’ve got an ample bosom, and my arms are in need of some serious toning.  I don’t want to look like a hooch or a grandma!

Here’s some photos of what I’d like to wear.

I actually bought the blue dress and necklaces but promptly returned them the following day.  The ruffles on the sleeves just didn’t work for me!  How cute is that chevron dress and especially that belt?  It’s all from Anthropologie but their sizes run too small for me.  I really like the cap sleeve on the cheetah print dress but I’m a real life size 12 and  I don’t want to look like some beasty animal.  How do you feel about animal prints?

I adored the red dress but only if it was in black and I don’t know if I love the wide shoulder straps.  The striped sweater paired with those raspberry colored pants are perfect for walking the Expo Hall and attending conference sessions.  Love, love, love.  I might go back and get it!  Alas, I spy another animal print but if I don’t want to look like a cheetah, I certainly don’t want to look like a zebra!

Sparkly heels for Sparklecorn?  I don’t know if I’m jumping onto the “let’s wear tutus, feather boas, and sequins to Sparklecorn” train but maybe a little bling might be fun.  I’d probably only ever wear them once.  Flats on the other hand are my BFF.  I bought a very expensive pair of flats last year and they are the most uncomfortable $195 shoes I’ve ever worn!  I’m loving the zipper detail – and the price (under $40) – and I love the turquoise toes on the black and white pair.

I did buy these two dresses yesterday.  The stripped one (from White House Black Market) was an impulse buy after I had spent the previous hour trying on dresses at another store.  I really like it but I think it might be a tad too short on me.  The one-shoulder number is adorable (Maggy London from Nordstrom) – but I think cuter on the model than me.  It seems a little dressy.  Maybe more appropriate for a wedding (or my 20th year high school reunion next summer!).  I do like the silver strappy heel rather than a black one, don’t you?

I snapped these last night and threw them up on Instrgram for advice.  Is that first dress too short?  The animal print dress in the middle is from my closet and has never been worn.  And the black skirt is actually a dress that has a black and gray chevron patterned top – also from my closet that has never been worn.  What do you think about those wedge sandals with any three of those dresses?

I like the idea of shopping from my closet for this year’s BlogHer but I need to freshen my wardrobe up a little bit – and those raspberry pants are calling my name!

Going to BlogHer’12?  What’s your wardrobe plan?

Jennifer July 6, 2012 at 6:07 am

I don’t think the dress is too short. I think you are a perfectly fine size to be wearing animal print, but you need to feel comfortable about it because that is the most important thing. The shoes look nice with all of those dresses.

Wendy July 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Thanks Jennifer! I’m still considering returning the striped number.

Sriti July 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

I don’t think the striped dress is too short at all. Not a big fan of animal print. I like the black dress too. The shoes go well with the striped dress and the black dress. You’ll look great Wendy.

Wendy July 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Finally someone who thinks animal print isn’t great. I think I like it in touches but not as a full dress! Thanks Sriti, I appreciate your comments because I know you are a true fashionista!

Nicole @theWardrobeCode July 6, 2012 at 8:26 am

Hi Wendy – I totally understand. You want to feel comfortable and confident while at your conference! I think dresses and skirts are an excellent choice, but I would focus more on straighter styles than fuller styles. Also, shoes, you’re going to need some cushion and a rubber sole, but open-toe is a good idea. Finally, avoid those trendy “boyfriend” tops that are big and shapeless (especially the ones with horizontal stripes). They don’t look good on anyone other than those mannequins 😉

Good luck! (call me if you need more help)

Wendy July 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Really interesting points, my friend! And you’re the expert! I’ll definitely take this all into consideration!!

aimee steckowski July 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm

closet shopping is the BEST especially when you’ve not worn them AND they are great clothes!! i love the wedges & that skirt/shirt duo from your closet too… and now, i must know – WHERE is that blue/white chevron dress from at the top right? i am in LOOOVE!

and honey, wear more dresses. head to Kohl’s for some great little cotton pull overs and enjoy the summer in feminine style. i wear dresses ALL. THE. TIME.. and not because i’m fancy or going somewhere!! HA!

Wendy July 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Aimee! I wish I had a better wardrobe to choose from. Yoga pants, jeans, and tees aren’t gonna cut it, you know?

Ashley July 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I LOVE THE RASPBERRY PANTS! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Ok, I’ll stop yelling at you.

I like everyone else, don’t think the striped dress is too short. It looks cute! I’m not a big animal print person either. I like it in belts and shoes, but too much cheetah only makes you look like a cheetah. :-)

You know this, but wear comfy shoes! I’m going to guess you had on Tori Burch shoes last year? I wroe flats too and my feet BLED all weekend long. I switched to flip flops after a while (as you might remember).

I love the dress and skirt idea though. Like I said on FB, this is going to be a VERY different crowd than last year. NYC does dressy really well while we SoCal gals were very comfy in our maxi dresses and flip flops. :-) But of course, there will be all kinds there… so have fun! I’m green with envy that I can’t go this year.

Elaine A. July 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

We are the same age! And my 20th reunion is next year too. I love that chevron dress and the belt and I like the dresses you chose. I hope I get to meet you at BlogHer this year!

Lisa July 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I have finally found someone who returns as much as me!! I return things all. the. time. My family all makes fun of me for it. I just never can decide until I get something home and spend a little time with it! You’ll look fabulous at BlogHer; I have no doubt.